Ukraina pääkuva


Ukraina, sisältö englanniksi

Information for people arriving from Ukraine

This page has information on the municipality of Liperi’s services for people arriving from Ukraine. Page updated 8 March 2024.

If you have fled Ukraine due to Russia’s attack, you can currently stay in Finland visa-free, apply for asylum or apply for temporary protection. This page has information on the municipality of Liperi’s services. Some of these services are provided in Joensuu, which is a town near Liperi.

More information on the services of other municipalities in Northern Karelia can be found on their own websites.

In Liperi, the immigration coordinator is Ms Matleena Pekkanen, contact information is at the bottom of this page.

Entry into the country

Temporary protection for those fleeing Ukraine

The purpose of temporary protection is to provide swift help to those fleeing the war in Ukraine.

Temporary protection

You need to register with the police or the border authority if you are applying for asylum or temporary protection. The Eastern Finland Police Department is asking you or a person assisting you to call the service number +358 295 455 380 on a weekday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. or send an email to before submitting the application to the police station. The service is available in Finnish and English.

The police will record your information after the phone call or email and forward your application to the nearest police station that processes these applications. Contacting the police department in advance speeds up the application process.

You can also visit the police station in person. The address of the Joensuu police station is Pykäläkuja 1, 80110 Joensuu, open on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.

After you have registered as applicant for asylum or temporary protection, you receive a temporary residence permit and you are entitled to the services of the reception centre.

The Finnish Immigration Service will send you the decision by post.

  • The decision will be sent to the reception centre at which you are staying. If you live in private accommodation, the decision will be sent to the address which you have given as your Finnish address. For this reason, it is important that you notify your reception centre in Finland of any address changes in Finland without delay.
  • In cases when you are not served with the decision by post, you will be informed of the decision at the Finnish Immigration Service or at the police.

If you are granted temporary protection,

  • you will receive a residence permit card. The residence permit card will be posted to you as soon as it is ready.
  • a personal identity code will be issued to you. If you cannot be registered in the Population Information System when you get a positive decision on your application, you can ask for registration at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. For further information, see
  • If you have also applied for asylum, the Finnish Immigration Service will suspend the processing of your asylum application for as long as your residence permit issued on the basis of temporary protection is valid.

See also:

Municipality of residence

If you have lived in Finland for one year and have been granted temporary protection, you can apply for a municipality of residence. In some cases, you may be entitled to a municipality of residence even earlier. Submit the application to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. 

You can apply for a municipality of residence based on one-year residence online. You can apply at the earliest on 1 March 2023. Apply on the website of the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (

When you have a municipality of residence, you are entitled to more extensive services than at a reception centre. Read more about how the services of a reception centre differ from the services provided by your municipality of residence.

If you do not apply for a municipality of residence, you will continue to be a client of a reception centre and will continue to receive services from your reception centre. If you need advice, you can contact your reception centre. 


Emergency accommodation

Siun sote’s social services’ information and service guidance tel. +358 13 330 2810

  • Monday–Thursday at 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1–3 p.m.
  • Friday at 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1–2 p.m.

At other times the social emergency services provide help in social welfare crisis situations mainly in the evenings and weekends in Northern Karelia region, tel. +358 13 330 9002.

Reception centre

Finland’s Red Cross has opened a reception centre service point in Joensuu city centre. If you have applied for asylum or temporary protection, accommodation in a rental apartment and reception services will be organised for you.

Through the reception centre, you will receive a reception allowance, social and health services, interpretation services, and guidance and advice.

The reception centre’s services are intended for those applying for asylum or temporary protection. Before you visit the centre, you must register at the police station.

Joensuu’s reception services

  • Address: Torikatu 17, Joensuu
  • Service number +358 40 182 2286
  • Open Monday–Friday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • e-mail:

We provide services in Finnish, English and Russian/Ukrainian

Please book an appointment in advance using the service number to avoid crowding!

Private accommodation

You may also stay with acquaintances or relatives or organise your own accommodation. However, you must apply for international protection (asylum or temporary protection) to access the reception centre’s services.

Right to employment

You will have the right to work and study as soon as you register your application for temporary protection with the police or a border control authority.

  • During registration, the police or border control authority will provide you with a printed certificate proving your right to work. Your right to work is unrestricted, meaning that you can find employment in any field. Keep the copy of the certificate you receive for yourself.
  • If you have already applied for temporary protection but have not received a certificate from the police or border control authority, Migri can send you the certificate by email. Send your request for the certificate to If you don't yet have employment and have no need for a certificate, you can simply wait for the decision on your application.

More information: Instructions on arriving in Finland from Ukraine (

Jobseeking and employment services

You can register as a jobseeker at the local employment services office and receive help and assistance to support your employment in Finland. These services are called TE Services. Please read the Welcome to Finland brochure (which is currently available in Russian and English, and will be available in Ukrainian later). For more information on working life and employees’ rights, see the Working in Finland brochure (in Ukrainian and Russian) or the As a foreign employee in Finland guide (also in Ukrainian and Russian).

Everyone in Finland has the right to a safe and fair working life. The law lays down rules on terms of employment, such as pay, maximum working hours and prohibition of discrimination in working life. Charging a fee for offering a job or arranging employment is prohibited in Finland. If you are treated inappropriately at work, you can contact the reception centre staff, occupational safety and health authorities or Victim Support Finland.

The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment of Finland states that you have the right to register as a jobseeker by personally visiting TE Services.

North Karelian TE Services, Joensuu office
Address: Torikatu 36 A, 4th floor, Joensuu
Open Mon–Fri 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Duunitalo Linkki is an employment service point in Liperi. You can ask us about open positions and education. We can also help you with Kela and TE Services related matters.

Duunitalo Linkki
Address: Ylämyllyntie 62b, 80400 Ylämylly
Open Mon-Fri 9 – 11 a.m. and 12 – 15 p.m.
Service number: +358 50 528 3554 (Mon-Fri 9 a.m. – 15 p.m.)

More information (in Finnish): Palvelut työnhakijalle -

Healthcare and Social Services

Siun sote is responsible for Liperi’s municipal social and healthcare services.

You have a right to urgent care in public healthcare and to necessary social welfare services. If you are a customer of the reception centre, you will receive social and health services through the reception centre.

Additional information:
Instructions when arriving from Ukraine (

In the case of serious, life-threatening illnesses and accidents, always call the general emergency number 112. This emergency number is same everywhere in Finland.

Calling the emergency number does not cost anything. You can also download the 112 Suomi application for smartphones (Android, iOS,) through which you can make the emergency call. In this case, the caller’s location information is sent to the emergency centre automatically. You may never end an emergency call before you get permission from the emergency centre. You may not call the emergency number in nonurgent circumstances. More information on The Emergency Response Centre Agency's website.

Economic security

Kela (Kansaneläkelaitos) is responsible for granting basic social assistance in Finland.

You can find more information on Kela’s webpages:

Day care: Early childhood education and care

If you have a job or are a student, you can apply for a day care place for your child. In urgent situations we aim to arrange the place in two weeks. In non-urgent situations the arrangement time is approximately four months.

You may apply for a day care place for your child anytime, around the year on our website: Apply for day care (in Finnish)

The application form is in Finnish, but our service planner can assist you in Finnish and in English. For further information, contact the service planner: +358 400 428 397 (in Finnish or English).

A meeting place called Kota is in Ylämylly and it is meant for all families. You can bring your children to play and spend time in Kota with other families. The address for Kota is Viljatie 1, 80400 Ylämylly. You can call the instructor at Kota beforehand and set up a meeting, tel. +358 50 307 4625.

For further information, contact the service planner: +358 400 428 397 (in Finnish or English).

School: Preparatory instruction and basic education

You can register your child to a school immediately after arriving in the country if you have applied for asylum or temporary protection. The municipality of Liperi arranges education for children and young people aged 6–17. In addition to basic education, our schools provide preparatory education for children and young people who have recently moved to Finland. In preparatory education the focus is on learning Finnish. Participating in this education does not require a residence permit.

If you need assistance and information in Ukrainian/Russian, please allow 1-3 working days to answer.

Apply for a school place (in Finnish)

Save and send the filled application to our school administration e-mail:

Finnish schools do not have school uniforms.

Additional information in Finnish and English:

Administrative secretary Maija Niemeläinen, tel. +358 50 407 9575,

Information about education in Liperi:

Immigration Services

The Immigration services offers guidance related to residence permits (first residence permits, extended residence permits, permanent residence permits,) on the part of family reunification and applying for citizenship as well as in EU registration.

If you are a resident of the municipality, meaning that you have a residence permit due to asylum or another reason (employment, family reason,) you may also receive guidance in official matters, such as registering into the municipality and, for example, opening a bank account or finding a house.

International House Joensuu is a centre of integration work that offers services also to immigrants based in Liperi.

Contact:, tel. +358 (0)13 337 0333

Opening hourse: Mon-Fri 9-11 and 12-15

Additional information on the services:

Mental support

The Lutheran and orthodox congregations in Liperi and in Finland in general offer mental and spiritual support. The Lutheran congregation in Liperi can help people in Finnish, English, Russian and French. The orthodox called Taipale orthodox congregation can help people in Finnish, English, Greek, Russian and Serbian.


Liperi Lutheran Congregation,, tel. +358 400 167 400, e-mail

Taipale Orthodox Congregation,, tel. +358 50 471 8130, e-mail

Public Transportation

The Joensuu region public transport (JOJO) buses travel around the Joensuu inner city area, as well as to Hammaslahti, Liperi and Kontiolahti. JOJO buses can be identified by their line number (1–215). 

JOJO Routeguide (“Reittiopas” in Finnish) is a digital service where you can search the nearest bus stop and check the schedule in real time. Open Routeguide here: (in Finnish)

From 1 September 2022 onwards, you can no longer travel for free with a Ukrainian passport, a Ukrainian national identity card, or with a certificate of temporary seizure of your passport issued by the police, the border inspection authority or the Finnish Immigration Service. 

Useful information:

The emergency alarm system is tested regularly in Finland. Testing day is the first Monday of each month at 12 p.m. (noon). The test signal is a continuous sound lasting for 7 seconds. This requires no action from the public.

Karelia UAS advice and study opportunities for people fleeing from Ukraine

In response to the humanitarian crisis unfolding in Ukraine, Karelia University of Applied Sciences (located in Joensuu) offers extra services and study opportunities for those who have been granted or applied for and waiting for a decision for temporary protection in Finland under the EU Temporary Protection Directive.

Karelia provides free of charge open UAS studies. For more information please visit


Matleena Pekkanen

 050 464 0486
Ylämyllyntie 62B, 80400 Ylämylly

SOME painikkeet

Sivu arviointi ja palaute